By John Perry, San Juan Capistrano
After my letter to the editor was published by The Dispatch online, Jonathan Volzke wrote a blistering response with all sorts of claims about my character. I started wondering why such a personal attack was necessary. Is there something more to the story that caused the reaction? So I did a little internet searching. Here’s what I found:
• Jonathan Volzke works for Faubel Public Affairs.
• Faubel Public Affairs has Poseidon Resources for a client.
• Poseidon Resources is seeking to build the county’s first seawater desalination plant in Huntington Beach. Poseidon is also on the board of the Orange County Taxpayers Association.
• The Orange County Taxpayers Association is also a client of Faubel Public Affairs.
• On October 4, 2012 Poseidon donates $25,000 to OCTaxPAC, which is sponsored by the OC Taxpayers Association. On October 9, 2012 Poseidon donates another $5,000 to OCTaxPAC.
• On October 29,2012 a mailer published by the OCTaxPAC is received by voters in San Juan Capistrano extolling the virtues Sam Allevato and Ginny Kerr as job producers who have caused the unemployment rate in San Juan Capistrano to drop by 25 percent.
I admit to believing in the tooth fairy, but I find it hard not to believe that somehow Jonathan is steering out-of-town money into our little City Council race. It might be legal, but this kind of political sleight of hand cries out for a little sunshine.
For every contribution there is a payback. I will be watching.