Compiled by Steve Breazeale
The seventh annual Rainbow Sandals Gerry Lopez Battle of the Paddle was held at Salt Creek Beach in Dana Point for the first time in the event’s history from Oct. 4-5. The move from Doheny State Beach, where the event had been held in years past, caused many to learn the new layout on the fly.
Nevertheless, hundreds of the world’s most elite stand-up paddleboarders, and amateurs alike, descended upon the Dana Point shoreline to compete over the two-day stretch.
The Battle of the Paddle also features one of the largest prize purses on the SUP racing calendar. This year’s total purse was over $26,000.
There were several strong showings from San Juan Capistrano residents at the event.
San Juan Capistrano’s Shae Foudy finished fifth in the Women’s Distance SUP Elite race. Martin Letourneur finished 10th in the Men’s Distance SUP Elite race and Eric Starnes finished 10th in the Men’s Distance SUP Individual division.
Scroll to the bottom to watch a video of the day’s events.
Here is a list of the top three finishers in each division, separated by gender:
Men Distance Paddleboard Individual
1. Canon Smith 2. Max First 3. Ismael Garcia
Women Distance Paddleboard Individual
1. Jo Ambrosi
Men Distance SUP Elite
1. Danny Ching 2. Travis Grant 3. Beau O’Brian
Women Distance SUP Elite
1. Lina Augaitis 2. Annabel Anderson 3. Fiona Wylde
Men Distance SUP Individual
1. Rob Rojas 2. Brennan Rose 3. Bart De Zwart
Women Distance SUP Individual
1. Karla Gilbert 2. Silvia Mecucci 3. Marie Buchanan
Men Elite SUP Elite
1. Kai Lenny 2. Jake Jensen 3. Danny Ching
Women Elite SUP Elite
1. Candice Appleby 2. Lina Augaitis 3. Annabel Andersen
Elite SUP Relay
1. Team Go Big or Go Huge 2. Team Lahui Kai 3. Team Rouge
Boys SUP 8-Under
1. Blake Scheel 2. Curren Springer 3. Dash Springer
Girls SUP 8-Under
1. Shyanne McWilliams 2. Abby Baker 3. Malaya Ring
Boys SUP 9-11
1. Jonas Graham 2. Matix Springer 3. Keagan Lamar
Girls SUP 9-11
1. Payton Springer 2. Belah Ellis 3. Zoe Carter
Boys SUP 12-14
1. Ryland Hart 2. Patrick Cleveland 3. Ryan Funk
Girls SUP 12-14
1. Erika Benitez 2. Isabella Gomez 3. Kalia Alexiou
Men Prone Paddleboard
1. Jack Bark 2. Shane Scoggins 3. Brian Murphy
Women Prone Paddleboard
1. Julia Garcia 2. Morgan Hoesterey 3. Jo Ambrosi
1. Team 15! 2. Team Boga Paddleboards 3. Team McPhillips